Most register offices now work on an appointment only basis. The death of a loved one must be registered in the authority where the death occurred.
For those who have died in Birmingham please contact Birmingham Register Office, Holliday Wharf, Holliday Street, Birmingham B1 1TJ. Telephone 0121 675 1000.
Who can register a death?
It is usual for the relative of the deceased to register the death.
If there are no relatives available this can be done by:
- A person who was present at the time of death
- A person who lives at the place where death occurred
- The person who is making the funeral arrangements.
What is required to register a death?
- The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.
- The Full name of the deceased ( including maiden name if deceased was married)
- Their date and place of birth
- Their date and place of death
- Their home address
- Their occupation
- If they were in receipt of a pension or allowance from public funds
- If they were married the date of birth of their surviving husband or wife.
The information in this guide is designed to be basic only, please contact us directly if you wish us to clarify or help you with anything you are unsure of.